- Adjunct Professor (Docent) in Functional Genomics 2010
Department of Biology
University of Turku, Finland
Doctor of Philosophy, 2001
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Master of Science, 1994
University of Alaska Fairbanks, Juneau Center School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences,
- Bachelor of Science, 1990
School of Natural Resources
University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
Grants and Awards
- Academy Research Fellowship - 2010 to 2015
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences – 2014
- ASSEMBLE - Evolution of Sex in Stickleback/Pipefish Species – 2013
- ASSEMBLE - Molecular mechanisms of sexual dimorphism – 2012
Research and Professional Experience
- Academy Research Fellow, University of Turku, Finland,
August 2010 to July 2015
Understanding the molecular mechanisms of sexual dimorphism in threespine stickleback: A systems biology approach
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher: University of Turku, Finland,
May 2006 to July 2010.
Centre of Excellence in Evolutionary Genetics and Physiology
- Identification of functional variation involved in local adaptation and speciation
with a focus on teleost fishes and passerine birds
- Responsible for supervising undergraduate and graduate students
- Responsible for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow: National Center for Cool and Cold Water
Aquaculture, USDA, Leetown, West Virginia,
February 2004 to April 2006.
- Identification and characterization of neuropeptides involved in feed intake and energy homeostasis in rainbow trout
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow: University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
September 2001 to December 2003
- Comparative linkage mapping and chromosomal evolution in rainbow trout, Atlantic salmon, and Arctic char
- Linkage mapping of candidate genes and quantitative trait loci for spawning time in rainbow trout
- Doctoral Research Assistant: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee,
July 1996 to Aug. 2001.
- Dissertation research on phylogenetic relationships of Arctic charr and Dolly Varden
- Genetic differentiation of lake trout morphotypes in Lake Superior
- Technician: Independent Contractor for National Marine Fisheries Service, Auke Bay, Alaska,
Sept. 1995 to July 1996.
- Fecundity study of Dungeness crabs in Glacier Bay, Alaska
- Exxon Valdez oil spill recovery assessment of blue mussels
- Technician: University of Alaska Fairbanks,
Sept. 1994 to Dec. 1994; Mar. 1995 to Sept. 1995.
- Outbreeding depression study of pink salmon
- M.S. Research Assistant: University of Alaska/Glacier Bay National Park,
1992 to Sept. 1994.
- Thesis research on reproductive biology of Dungeness crabs.