Lectures (14 times, 9.1.-20.2.2019)
Homework sessions (6 times, 14.1.-22.2.2019)
- 10:15-12:00 Monday (Room M1, Quantum)
- 10:15-12:00 Wednesday (Room M1, Quantum)
- 10:15-12:00 Friday (Room M1, Quantum)
Course Web Page:
- No textbook. Lecture notes provided by the instructor.
- Presence is mandatory. Absence is permitted only if agreed with the lecturer (ask beforehand if possible).
- To pass the course, at least 25% of the homework problems must be completed. The more problems you solve, the more credit towards the final grade you get: You get demo class
of the given homeworks.
- A, if you complete 70%-100%,
- B, if you complete 45%-70%,
- C, if you complete 25%-45%
- Three hours, four problems.
- Anyone with democlass at least C has qualified to take the exam within one year.
- Registration though internet (NettiOpsu) is required at least one week before the exam.
- Homework activity (demo class A, B or C) and the score of the final exam determine the final grade.
Tentative course outline
- Review of topology (compact metric spaces, Cantor space)
- Topological dynamics (mixing properties, recurrence, sensitivity)
- Intoduction to shift spaces and types of subshifts
- Subshifts of finite type, sofic shifts, effective subshifts
- Symbolic representations