Fall term 2023
Tilings and Patterns
- First midterm exam on Tuesday, October 17, at 12-15 in M3 (Quantum 3rd floor). Material to read: Chapters 1-4 in the lecture notes (up to page 61), first seven homework sets.
- On Thursday, October 5, we have extra homework session replacing lecture.
- On the week October 9-13 we only have homework on Monday. No lectures.
Some slides (pdf, best viewed in full screen mode):
- General introduction to some topics of the course (mostly symmetries)
- Plane isometries are compositions of at most three reflections
- Frieze group examples
- Deriving the 17 wallpaper groups
- Flow chart to determine wall paper groups
- Robinson’s aperiodic Wang tile set
- An aperiodic Wang tile set of 14 tiles
- On the undecidability of tiling problems
Lecture Notes (pdf):
Lecture Slides (pdf):
- Lecture 30.8.
- Lecture 31.8.
- Lecture 5.9.
- Lecture 6.9.
- Lecture 7.9.
- Lecture 14.9.
- Lecture 19.9.
- Lecture 20.9.
- Lecture 27.9.
- Lecture 28.9.